For all COVID-19 updates and latest information, please visit the official government website at

March '20

Well, WHAT a month March turned out to be!  A complete year of bad stuff in the space of one month!  Whoever would have thought Covid 19 could cause such chaos?

We started off by adopting our BEN to his new home.  He came in from a Karoo dorpie where the drought was severe leaving many of the landowners other animals either dead or dying.  However, with help from Tracy, he found his new posi.  Go well, Ben!

Our HOPE, suffering from Tetanus, after many shots of Penicillin and discussions with Vets, appears to have made recovery.  Yippeeeee.  She used to hide away when Carla arrived to do the injecting!

Some time ago, a Transkei owner surrendered his ex Racehorse to the Unit and so Stanley went up to collect him.  His name is GLANTO, is eight years old and is available for adoption.

We were sad when ROOKIE REBEL was adopted because he went down the coast so we won’t see him as often as we would like.   We have to applaud the Warrens for bringing him on so well, even to riding him to try him out.   Very different from when he came in after being surrendered by his owner.  Go well, Rookie!  Holding thumbs for you.

Unfortunately when Carla, Stan and Tom went to the Karoo to collect Ben and his friend, the shocking state of the gravel roads took their toll on the horsebox, losing the number plate and the indicator lights somewhere down the road.   But luckily enough, Stan was able to fix the situation.  Thank you, Stan!

A recheck on SHADOW with her two donkey friends found all to be present and correct.  Well done Joe!

The owner of the thin mare on the N2 phoned to assure us that she was getting better although the other mare was battling a bit. 

Another Complaint that Carla had addressed a few months ago with the owner after pictures were sent by the owner to us, was found to be looking much better than she was when first inspected.

Another owner phoned in to say she had a thin crossbreed and what to feed.   Advised accordingly.

A complaint received about horses with blankets on in 39 degree temperatures!  On visiting Carla was unable to find water and yes, the horse blankets were on, but Carla took the blanket off the Thoroughbred, but was unable to catch the Crossbreed.   Various messages left with various people and a late afternoon message indicated that she had received our messages.  Carla visited and issued a Warning Notice.

A man who had two Thoroughbreds dumped on his farm, asked us to collect them as Abandoned as the owner had not been to see them since dropping them off, nor was giving enough feed for them.  And yes, they were definitely underweight, and full of ticks.  The third horse, a Crossbreed, had died overnight, but the other two were transported by Carla and Stan to the Unit with a signed Surrender form.  When they were admitted, they were both dewormed and scanned.

However, due to symptoms and the dead horse from the previous night, we were a bit concerned that this was potentially AHS.  So the State Vet sent out a Vet Tech to take samples, and then we had to wait for the results which took a week to come back negative.  Whew!!    So for that week the two were kept isolated in the back camp where they had lots of grass to eat and space to wonder around and chill out.  At the same time, Dr Hilda from 9th Avenue Veterinary Clinic came to do a Veterinary Certificate on the two in case we wanted to open a Case against the owner for neglect.  Dr Hilda gave them a vitamin injection as a boost.  Because of the heavy load of ticks on the two, Dr Hilda was asked to inject Cydectin.  Specifically so that the ticks when full don’t fall off in our camps and corrupt our ‘tickless’ state.

Some years ago, we adopted two donkeys to a lady in Addo, but now that she has passed away, her son is their keeper.  However, the son and his partner were moving to Bathurst for a while and asked if we could keep the donks until they are settled in a new posi. In due course, Carla and I went to collect them and now Coco and Milo are back with us, just waiting to get back to their family members.

And then a Complaint received about a donkey cart on Glendore Road which Stanley handled.

Then on a weekend, Stan was asked to collect a Stray donkey on the Saturday.  And again on Sunday, a different donkey in Greenbushes!  And on Monday 2 stray donkeys in Glendore Road.   This does not happen as often as it used to, that is, complaints about donkeys on Walmer Roads.

A phonecall for a visit to a horse who had a problem with his hind leg.  Stanley attended the scene and found that the tendon had been completely severed and that maggots had invaded the wound.  He recommended the purchase of Supona to kill the maggots and recommended euthanasia which the family is busy discussing. 

Stanley was asked to go and fetch a horse and take it to the Vet in Uitenhage as the horse had hurt its leg.   Stan did the job and was paid the transport fee. 

A Recheck on 5 other horses was not as comforting.  A further recheck will have to be done after education was given.


On trying to do the staff Wages on a Friday, I had a bloke jam me at the atm and try to get the work bank card and play with the keyboard.  Thankfully Stanley showed up and asked him what he thought he was doing, so he disappeared.  We went off to the main bank to change the pin number.  Thank you, Stanley!  

Early in March, Stanley visited Transkei again.   It was for a Race and the pictures show that the jockeys are correctly attired, leg bandages on to prevent speedy cuts and to protect the legs.  13 Thoroughbreds and 7 donkeys attended to by trimming hooves.

After discussion, it was agreed to open a Case against the owner of the two horses found in Uitenhage.   So once the Statement had been drawn up, a visit to Walmer SAPS was done and a Case opened.   Owner advised that it would be best for her to surrender the two horses to the Unit.  She did.

Mama our donkey was dispatched to her new ‘job’ as companion animal to a Welsh Pony.

A Combined Animal Welfare Societies was held to discuss how best to handle a difficult owner who has too many animals.

A call received for a donkey jack that had had a fight with another jack and had had his nuts bitten.  Stanley collected and admitted him for gelding.

And then came the LOCKDOWN!!  Mad scrambling to get more grassmix in, and permits for the staff to travel, if necessary, during this period.

Pinelodge asked for their three donkeys to be brought in for the Lockdown.  Stanley collected and ‘fee’ paid up front for their stay.

Carla and I decided to pay staff wages early so that they could ‘stock up’ for the Lockdown.

So having done everything, including a work roster for the Unit during the LOCKDOWN, everybody aware of what was about to happen, we all went home.   So far, the 6 day of lockdown, there has been no problem.

Donations received during March 2020 for which we say Thank You!

Kate – donated Stride Equicalm 072 600 3058

Lucy – donated Grassmix/teff bales

Trevor and Jaunita donated 4 bales grassmix and one bag shandy chaff

AWS – donated Hand Sanitizer

FEED AND SEED -  bottles of homeopathic supplements.

Leeann - carrots /Apple Cider vinegar

9th ave Vet Clinic - pizza donation

Laura - two teff rounds from Antoinette

Waikato – 9 bales teff

VOLUNTEERS – Roxy, Lee Anne

Well that is it from the home base where, like you, I have been told to stay.   Enjoy your April, hopefully after Lockdown is over.

Details you might need: 

Bank Account:  Standard Bank Current Account 080733875, 

Work Cellphone 072 3572505, the landline is no longer in use (Sorry!)